About Me

A couple of years ago, I found my autistic child locked in a small cold cement cell at his school. The cell had no windows, no furniture, and was slate gray with low lighting. The cell was also sound proofed so parents and teachers outside wouldn’t hear him crying. I am writing this blog as a campaign to change the way these children are perceived and treated in our society.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

#3 101 Ways a Teacher Could Help a Child with Autism

Hello!
This is day three of my project to create a list of 101 Ways a Teacher Could Help a Child with Autism in the Classroom.  At first, I wasn’t certain that I would be able to come up with over one hundred suggestions … but I already have 30 ideas for suggestions and I haven’t even covered everything the teacher could do before or during the child’s first day of school! 
But one suggestion at a time, so please read my third suggestion for the teacher of an autistic child.

Category: Before the Child’s first day in the classroom

Suggestion #3:  Request that a functional behavior analysis is done for the child.
Contact the schools therapist or psychologist to see if a functional behavior analysis has already been done for the child.  If one has not been done, and you came across any indication during Suggestion #2 that the child sometimes reacts strongly or emotionally in the classroom environment, request that one be done as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment