About Me

A couple of years ago, I found my autistic child locked in a small cold cement cell at his school. The cell had no windows, no furniture, and was slate gray with low lighting. The cell was also sound proofed so parents and teachers outside wouldn’t hear him crying. I am writing this blog as a campaign to change the way these children are perceived and treated in our society.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Frustration, autism, and educational bureaucrats

I am imagining sending a blind child to gym class.  The child keeps on getting hit in the face with flying balls.  After about the twentieth or so time of being knocked down, the child throws a full on temper tantrum, screams, cries.
The educator’s response?  But we told the blind child to duck when a ball is coming.

Now, wouldn't that response be ludicrous?  But they do this all the time with autistic children.

Example:
Autistic trait: it is hard for an autistic child to communicate; they have a hard time expressing their feelings.

My son is on a schedule to help him make it in the school environment; he needs to know what is going on.  One day, there is a field trip scheduled.  The teacher doesn't believe that he will do well on the field trip, so they let me know, and I let him know that he is not going on the trip.  On the day of the field trip, the outing is canceled due to poor weather.  Instead, they are going to have a movie.  No one tells my son that he can go to the movie even though he was not allowed to go on the field trip.  No one tells him to put the movie on his daily schedule.  He becomes really agitated, starts crying, thinking that everyone is going to get to go to the movie but him.
The teacher’s response:  Why didn't he just ask us?

WHAT?!?! 

I am sorry but I am soooooooooo frustrated with the school and the curriculum.  They are constantly doing things that push the buttons of an autistic child, and then step back and say "well, why didn't he say anything?"  The curriculum is NOT set up for an autistic child.  They are constantly asking him questions like "how do you feel about the main character?"  And THEN they call me and don't understand why he just breaks down and starts crying?

Again and again I am disappointed by the total lack of understanding and forethought that goes into educating these children. 

I am frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment